Enjoying the fresh spring air and the lovely aromas of new green grass and budding blossoms, your fireplace is probably the last thing on your mind. You’ve finished spring cleaning your fireplace and are ready to put aside all your unused firewood for the year. But remember that your fireplace doesn’t have to be forgotten during this warm time of the year. It can still be the focal point of your home and home décor.
How can you use your fireplace without the heat of a fire? A fireplace candelabrum is a quick and easy way to bring some warmth and style to your fireplace without that heat. You could simply purchase one and place it in your fireplace as is. But did you know that there are ways to make fireplace candelabra even more unique and styled specifically for your home? Here are ten great tricks for decorating your fireplace candelabra.
1. Use Fabric to Decorate Your Fireplace Candelabra – Having fireplace candelabra lit in your fireplace can create a warm glow and an inviting flicker, but you will not always have your candles lit. So during the times when you do not, you can add a little color using fabric. Find a color and design that matches the rest of your home décor, and purchase a small amount; about a yard should be plenty. Simply wrap the fabric around and in and out of the spindles of the candelabrum. Let some of the fabric bunch and billow out at random intervals. Tuck in the ends and edges and you quickly have a beautiful centerpiece. Replace the candles, but remember to remove the fabric before lighting them.
2. Use Different Candle Colors for Different Occasions – Decorating for a specific occasion or holiday? Don’t forget to change the color of your candles in your fireplace candelabra! This is such an easy trick, but it is very effective. Think about the colors normally associated for the season, such as light greens and pinks for the spring, or red, white and blue for the Fourth of July.
3. Use Different Sizes of Candles for a Designer Look – You can give your fireplace candelabra a professional designer look by simply changing the size and shape of your candles. Think about using several sizes of column candles at the same time. Or you can use a few globe candles in the front and some column candles in the back. Tea light candles work well with fireplace candelabra that do not have center pins. Experiment with them and see what looks good to you.
4. Take Your Fireplace Candelabra Outside – Candelabra made for your fireplace are usually pretty sturdy. They are generally made out of wrought-iron or some other very durable material. This makes them ideal for use outside. Try using your fireplace candelabra as a centerpiece on your patio table. If you have a long picnic table, you can use a candelabrum that is designed for a smaller fireplace. How about using a couple candelabra to decorate either side of your front door, or back door? If you are worried about your candles blowing out from gusts of wind, you can use votive candles surrounded by glass, but your candelabra cannot have center pins for this to work.
5. Put Your Fireplace Candelabra on Your Mantel – For those of us who have gas or electric fireplaces, and do not wish to remove the fake logs during the warm season, consider placing a candelabrum or two on your mantel. This is actually a very classic way of decorating your fireplace. Use fireplace candelabra that are made for smaller fireplaces or zero clearance fireplaces.
6. Put Your Fireplace Candelabra on Your Hearth – If you do not have a mantel, you can place your fireplace candelabra on your hearth just as easily. Be sure to add a little greenery in the spring, maybe a sting of fall leaves in the autumn and some pine needles and cones in the winter for an added special touch.
7. Use Your Fireplace Candelabra as a Dining Room Table Centerpiece – What if you do not own a fireplace? You can still find great uses for these versatile home décor items. They work great as a centerpiece on your dining room table. Just place some elegant tapered candles on them and add a few sprigs of greenery and you have a beautiful centerpiece in minutes that looks like it took hours to create. This is also a great way to use your fireplace candelabra during the winter months when you are actually using your fireplace for a warm fire.
8. Create Ambiance With Scented Candles – To create a calm and relaxing atmosphere in your home, you can add lavender or vanilla scented candles to your fireplace candelabra. If you want a romantic mood, try a little sandalwood or jasmine scent. For a warm, homey feel, you could use apple and cinnamon. Virtually any mood can be enhanced by a little aromatherapy. Be creative and have fun.
9. Place a Mirror in Your Firebox to Reflect Light – This trick is one of my favorites and it is super easy. Find a mirror about the same size as the back of your firebox. This can be framed or unframed, your choice. Simply lean the mirror up against the back of your firebox and light your fireplace candelabra candles. The mirror will reflect the light from the candles and give the illusion of twice as many candles. It is a really beautiful effect.
10. Place Glass Beads Under Your Fireplace Candelabra – This trick is also simple, but has a dramatic effect. Find some glass beads at your local craft store that are the same color as your home décor. You can also use clear glass beads for a versatile option. Fill a tray with the beads and place under your fireplace candelabra. Scatter a few beads around the tray to hide the edges of the tray. The beads will reflect the light from your candles into millions of flickering points of interest. Be creative with this. Use colored beads for a special holiday, or use red beads for a romantic evening. The possibilities are limitless.
These ideas are meant to give you a taste of the creativeness you can use to decorate your fireplace. Have some fun brain-storming and thinking up new ways to use your fireplace candelabra. Remember to be safe and remove your flammable decorations before lighting your candles.
Go for it today! Let your creative juices flow. Find your favorite fireplace candelabra and a few decorative additions and you are ready to make your fireplace uniquely yours!